Wednesday, July 30, 2008

worst. day. ever.

i must be cursed.

there are numerous people to testify to this fact.

--one of my older sisters is fond of saying "it's you." she even regales her coworkers and friends with tales of my daily life.
--one of my coworkers, "this can only happen to you! i don't know anyone else with your stories and luck. these things just don't happen to people! it's because your name is saysomphorn!"

i can't even go into all of it. i really can't. it's just been one thing after another--none of which was pleasant to deal with.

worst. day. ever.

well. if this hasn't been the

worst. day. ever.

then it comes pretty darn close to it.

suffice it to say--

all listed below were involved in some way:

1. east hampton police officers (who have nothing better to do i suspect).

2. east hampton police officers asking me where i'm from. (i guess my driver's license wasn't enough information. i suspect they were trying to find out my ethnicity--not middle eastern--and me not willing to cooperate on that line of reasoning unless they asked me correctly. my answer: "uhhh...washington state").

3. east hampton police officers asking me how to pronounce my name. (i know. it sounds awfully close to osama bin laden doesn't it?).

4. east hampton police officers asking me if i've ever been to mexico. (no i haven't and perhaps, in their estimation--if i am not a terrorist, i might possibly be a drug dealer).

5. east hampton police officers not being able to find my license in their computer system to be valid/existent and letting me know that i might have to go to the station for a few hours until this is cleared up (yay! and--they found it after i pointed out that perhaps--because my name is absurdly long--there might have been a mistake when he called it in--like the person hearing the letters incorrectly).

6. and to top it off--getting back to my hotel room--and the hotel i am staying at not having me on file as having booked a room when i checked in--the prior afternoon. then not having my checkout date correct (i suppose i'd be a pretty high class homeless person if i were homeless in the hamptons for a night).

all this--for not breaking fast enough at a crosswalk--that had no lights--because a big ole honkin truck was on the right lane blocking my view of anything well....to the right of it. btw. i was under the speed limit and as i see it. i really didn't commit any wrongdoing--which is--after over an hour of street interrogation--probably why they had to let me off with just a warning.

thanks ehpd! you ruined my day and interrogated me for over an hour--only to tell me i will be let go with a warning! i suppose i should be thankful. which. i am. but.

i am supremely in a disturbed state of mind at the moment. i am not amused.

7. oh. and according to the ehpd, i apparently should avoid driving in new mexico because there's a WARRANT out for my arrest for a SPEEDING TICKET THAT THE JUDGE DISMISSED years ago. apparently, it's still in their system. so now. i have to contact the new mexico courts and figure out why this is still there and where i go from here.

so, though i rarely drink, i did order a glass of shiraz with dinner tonight. i think i earned it.

completely as an aside--i stepped outside this morning and was walking to my car when i happened to look at the guy that stepped outside at the same time. he looked familiar--but i couldn't quite figure it out until i got into my car. then i realized--it was luke perry. and after dinner tonight, i went for a nice walk around southampton to clear my mind and saw one of those teen stars that i know is a star and will never know the name of. oh well.

3 comments:

Heather K said...

Wait, your name isn't Jenny Hussein Bin Laden? Really? Huh. Who knew?

Also, what New Mexico, warrant? What?

I would also like to point out I have many horrific and shocking awful stories, but that since I am white none of them involve the cops racial profiling me. I just need to cry and they leave me alone/help me as needed.

Dropped At Birth said...

yeah...the new mexico thing is a bit of a shock, to say the least. blech.

btw, i never figured your flaming red hair as white. many asians have flaming red hair. :)

Anonymous said...

Did you get the New Mexico thing taken care of?