Friday, January 23, 2009

is it possible...

to become addicted to alcohol after 4 straight days of drinking? nearly everything is possible of course, but aside from the philosophical quandary...is it possible?

i am obviously drinking more in my life than i ever have before thanks to work gatherings and "joy" gatherings. and while it's not daily (well it was during my birthday weekend) it sure feels like it is! then again, my birthday weekend did just end--and so it is still fresh in my mind. or am i just rationalizing because i'm an alcoholic drunk. maybe it's just because i'm not used to drinking to this extent and because of that i am feeling ill at ease (ill at ease is probably too strong a phrase for what it is i am feeling btw). or maybe, again, i'm just rationalizing.

i am going to go on a weeklong alcohol-free binge. which is REALLY a shame since i just bought some reidel wine glasses...and have 2 handy bottles of red wine (2006 vicien cabernet sauvignon reserves). i bought them for that purpose--well. that and my roommate keeps drinking red wine out of mugs and it slightly amuses and offends the wine snob in me.

according to newb, 6 is the day of reckoning because "it means you went a full week + another day--5 days could just be a vaca."

i can buy into that theory--but what about people that drink a glass of red wine everyday? studies have shown that one glass of red wine a day could be beneficial for your health. are they alcoholics?

i will have to keep track of this.

i had a red apple martini the other day and it was DELICIOUS.

2 comments:

Heather K said...

I drink more now too, but I wouldn't say it was because I am an alcoholic. I haven't been drinking for a while because I felt kind of sick and it was just better not. But I could stop very easily.

The drinking now is more about affording the good stuff to drink. You know, back when I was poor I wouldn't spend a ton out at a bar or with dinner, I would spend the dough on other things.

I think it might just be being a grown up in the city.

Dropped At Birth said...

i like that explanation. and hey, i'm "a grown up in the city." haha. that sounds so funny to my ears!