Saturday, August 2, 2008

rude awakenings

so the other night...i went to bed. no covers since it's so bloody hot here and felt a tickle on the small of my back. i was asleep, but awake enough to feel the tickle and awake enough to move my hand there to scratch my back...only...

once my hand got there, i realized it wasn't a tickle from the fan. it was a bug, which woke me right up. i swatted, jumped up and turned on the light. i can say i've never woken up quite so quickly and quite so fiercely before.

but the very disturbing fact that woke me up wasn't that it was a bug...but that what i felt, was a HUGE bug. so, blind as a bat, with the lights on, i look for my taped up glasses and look around, knowing that it was lurking somewhere...slightly hurt.

i start moving things around, fearfully, and still quite dazed with sleep. i grabbed my pillows, thinking, maybe it's lurking there...unfortunately. i was right.

it flew out and i was able to confirm the size of the thing that was making itself comfortable on my back. i have no clue what the hell it was still. but it flew. it had the wings of a moth--but the body of a grasshopper. and it was 2 inches long. that's sizable man. big, beady eyes. sentient. staring at me. i proceeded to figure out how to get rid of it without getting close and without screaming at 2am. i finally worked up the nerve to bundle my right hand up in toilet paper--grabbed it, wrapped it up and squished it. i know. i know. but even that freaked me out.

i hate bugs. i understand they play some role in the greater scheme of things, but i still hate them. i especially hate being woken up to one parked on the small of my back.

anyhow. i was still freaked out at the size of the thing, so i kept my light on and tried to go to sleep. at 4am i realized, i am not going to be able to fall asleep with my lights on. it makes it hotter and brighter (imagine that).

anyhow, after that i felt sufficiently safe to sleep enough to turn off my lights. promptly fell asleep cause i was dead tired. and about...ohhhh...an hour later....

i felt a tickle on my leg. smacked it. and no. it wasn't the breeze again. it was a fairly large mosquito or bug of some sort. but after the earlier scare, well, a smaller version just didn't freak me out quite so much--but...

enough to call an end to sleep for the day. i decided to get some packing done instead.

~~

on another note: i caved and hired movers. :) i'm actually pretty happy with it. i think i'd have died trying to move my stuff myself--and it's not like i have all that much. i really don't, but the month is already going to be pretty stressful, there's no need to add what doesn't need to be added, right?

2 comments:

GrayBabyOracle said...

I'm with you on bugs. The greater scheme would matter to me if I was an eternal being, but since I'm not, I'll freak out and crush them or otherwise get them to leave me alone.

Dropped At Birth said...

that's funny. i think i would have less care if i was an eternal being. i'd look at that bug and be like "what!"