Saturday, September 6, 2008

who needs a man??

i sure don't! i feel so damn accomplished right now--despite the mistakes that i refuse to fix.

i put together my bedframe--ALL BY MYSELF. well. with joy's hand once to hold something in place while i screwed it in. hehe.

but other than that--ALL BY MYSELF.

NO MAN.

which is, of course, the point.

it looks pretty darn good too. i did make a couple of mistakes. the bottom two legs are facing the wrong way--but i can live with seeing 2 screw holes. it will remind me that I DID IT WITHOUT A MAN.

while some people might think--she's making a rather big deal about putting together a bedframe...let me explain why this is so monumental for me.

1. remember back in high school? sophomore year, i think? when we had to do that silly asvab test for the military? remember how there was a mechanical knowledge section and an electronic knowledge section as well? other sections included word knowledge, coding speed, etc. well. i scored a 99 percentile in coding speed and word knowledge, etc. but here's something i have kept a secret for many years except to a select few...

i scored an 11 for the mechanical knowledge. ELEVEN (11)--just in case anyone missed that the first time. they even showed how many questions you got wrong. I GOT ONLY ONE QUESTION CORRECT IN THAT SECTION. ONE (1). they even told you which one you got correct. i can't even be proud of that one correct answer--because i just happened to guess correctly. i still to this day, remember the question. it was the first question in that section and it asked, "what does a phillips screwdriver head look like?" i had no effin clue. i just guessed correctly.

2. stereotypically women aren't known to be great in this area--and unfortunately, thanks to my lack of interest--i fit that mold.

so. this is why i feel so great about my bedframe. if i can put together a bedframe. i sure as hell can rule the world! hah!

~~

for people that believe in the palin hype that she helped cut taxes in alaska, etc. THERE ARE NO TAXES IN ALASKA. there weren't any taxes there even before she got there. god. so they are just blatantly lying all over the place. surprise, surprise.

also--she was able to give $1200 rebates to the residents from the oil companies. whooptidoo--what is a few thousand dollars to oil companies when you tell them you will let them drill in anwar??? hmm...billions of dollars soon for a few thousand dollars now? god.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to see independent woman. ;) I put together my computer table all by myself earlier in the year sad to say that has fallen apart already lol I do understand the importance of reminder yourself that you are strong without depending on a man, my ex was an example of a horrible man that made me feel very worthless, after we broke up I worked extra hard to establish that I can do anyting I put my mind to without his assistance or shoulder to lean on. I wish you the best. :) I added your blog, I enjoyed your writing. Don't be a stranger!

Heather K said...

I am laughing hysterically at the ASVAB bit of info, which is really really mean, and I am sorry for that and I feel bad I do, but oh God that is totally wonderfully you.

Dropped At Birth said...

thanks for reading! i sure hope my bed doesn't fall apart in less than a year though! :)

heather--*shakes head* i know. i know. although, you exceeded expectations with "laughing hysterically" when i totally expected maybe just a chuckle or two!

Heather K said...

Sorry. Just sorry. High School Jenny would never, ever, EVER have scored that low on any test EVER. I can just see how horrified and appalled you were at that moment. I can see you looking at the paper like there must be some sort of mistake.

Dropped At Birth said...

actually, funny story.

i set up a meeting to talk to the military personnel/asvab guy about my test scores when he was making a visit. mind you--i never had ANY desire to join the military--but i really had to talk to him about this test.

he looked at my test scores and said, "wow. you scored an 11?"

my response was, "yeah, but look at all the other scores!"

his: "well. the other scores are great for college...the only other score i see that we could use is the coding speed--which, is wow, btw. but if you were to ask me--i would, uhh, you're planning on going to college, aren't you?"

me: "yes."

him: "oh good. that's where someone like you should go."

it seems, based on that test score--the military did not want someone like me!

Heather K said...

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAAHHHAAAA! That is awesome. Actually I think I remember that you met with that guy because I remember thinking why is Jenny acting like she would ever join the military.